Saturday, December 09, 2006

Children's Vacation Workshop 2006 experience...

I find myself with quite a bit of time to kill before I adjourn to the highlands with my mum - and have decided to blog at the staircase of the church while waiting for her.. I'm looking forward to having a break after these last three days of being practically on my feet from morning till evening and with around 250 kids running around (can you just imagine the chaos :p)...

My eyes are drooping, my ears are ringing (from the screams and the noise), my stomach's crying out for food (it only had roti telur since), my brain's telling me that it wants to shut off cos of the lack of sleep (I woke up at 6 - I don't even wake up this early at stm!! :p)... Thankfully my headache has abated somewhat...

Since the beginning of last month, as part of stm's practical assignment, I've been asked by the church to help out with the children's programme. Apart from observing and evaluating the ministry, I was required to handle the practical arrangements and logistics from the workshop. The workshop experience included a sleep over, outing to Dominoes, Explorace (station games from room to room), telematch, BBQ and talentime, baking, knowing about pets session, christmas story telling and a whole lot of activities packed into 2 and a half days for the children. *phew*

After spending time with the children, a few things came to mind - children, while without guile, reflect their parents actions. If a child behaved in a certain way, it was very telling of how their parents were... While quite of few of us would object to being placed in a box this way - try spending time more time with kids and you'll really see what I mean.. While at times it's quite hilarious, many times it's been rather alarming... Sometimes, what the parents may do in gest or unthinkingly are taken on by the children and have long term impact.

This experience taught me one thing - it will be a while before i have my own kids (if ever)... In the meantime, I'm still a work in progress. :)

No comments: