I met her at College Uni Group last Friday. I suppose it was one of those things that some pastors would call as a 'divine encounter'. Things were moving as usual. Class finished later than previous semesters, arranged for transport back to PJ. Then I had to rush to get to church earlier cos I had to lead BS and I totally forgot to bring the materials back to seminary two weeks ago.
When I got to church, amazingly, the issue I had to address had to do with my ecclesiology class earlier that day but admittedly I still felt totally inadequate to handle the issue if anything more complicated came up (plus my supervisor was still at Gopeng and hence having to lead the Bible Study). When I met her, my mind was still in the Bible Study and at the same time recognising that I'd done my best in the circumstances and just had to commit the rest of my anxieties of inadequacy to God.
When we gathered together for the wrap up after the BS discussion, she spoke up about how she felt that she has so many questions but no one could answer her. She looked so lost and my heart just went out to her. Later on, I found out that she has gone through a church split and she was wounded - still is. She shared that answers given until then just seemed futile and unsatisfactory. She hated the usual pat answers - don't think so much, pray more. As if faith and thinking are two separate things. She was glad that my college group and I could help her to find the answers (I had challenge my young ppl to answer her questions as a lesson for them too).
I don't know if I'll ever see her again as she'll have to leave for overseas soon. But just for a little while, she reminded my young ppl and I of the importance of the church in helping people like her, in helping one another in our spiritual journeys and through the questions that we have deep within. She reminded me again of the importance of me being in seminary for my final year, to continue in my learning and to not take it for granted despite the struggles. In that short encounter, she has touched my life and I hope that I have hers - for I heard Him speak to me once again through her.
I'm so amazed by You. Thank You for just these moments where You have been speaking -for Your assurance and Your Presence. I see how You've been working in me and through me and I just can't help but be in awe of You - my God, my Lord and my Master. Your will be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment