Tuesday, June 16, 2009

One day at a time

Over the weekend, a good friend of mine reminded me to take one day at a time - especially when I shared my anxiety in returning to the seminary for my final semester. A lot of fears were crowding me in - how I was going to fit back in, if I would be able to finish up assignments still pending, if I'd return to my depressed state when I get back.

I've definitely been doing much better in the last two weeks - being back at the church office among people who has always been like family to me and encourage me on in my journey (even though they may not be for seminary studies themselves) has helped me a lot to keep on going. Aunty Lai Sheong and Aunty Irene reassures me that they are always praying for me. Sue has been taking me out for meals and just listening to my woes. Dennis, reminds me of servanthood with his ever cheerful attitude, listening ear and willingness to help others. Uncle Nicky who tries to make me laugh, Leon and EJ who welcome me into their room when I just need peers to just talk about inconsequential stuff. Pr Aaron who tries to connect with me and asks how I'm doing every morning. Especially, there's Pr Choon Meow who's always concerned about where I am and trying to help me move on - listening to my thoughts and giving me gentle advice for hours on end. There are days when I've been so hard on myself that his constant acceptance of me has helped me to see God's love in the midst of it all and helped me to heal. I think that every church should have a pastor like him. There's even my ministry boss Adrian who, though he doesn't say much, reminds me how much I need to keep on going for what's ahead.

I've been better that I was able to worship lead on Sunday morning AND afternoon! Lots of people came up that morning and told me that they were ministered to. I felt really humbled as most of the songs that I chose for the Sunday morning service spoke to me in the midst of my struggles these last few months. In the afternoon, I was so glad for my friend, Kar Yong, who was ordained on Sunday afternoon that though I felt rather overwhelmed, I could keep on going. I had a good cry when I went home but I'm glad to have survived the day - two weeks ago, I wouldn't have been able to make it at all.

It's still been up and down for me - but God has been really good. I enjoyed yesterday's quiet day - for once we were encouraged to be silent for 5 hours and just to seek God. Personally, it was no difficulty - there has been days when I rarely spoke in the last few months. For me, it was just good because in the first hour it struck me that I was among a LOT of people after being mostly alone in the last few months and for a while I thought I was going to have another panic attack. The silent time gave me time to turn back to God for strength to stay on till the end of the service at 4.30pm. The passages on Elijah really spoke to me and reminded me of God's love and care for me in the midst of my feeling overwhelmed.

It's my second day back in STM today and I'm glad to say that I'm still hanging on. As I settle stuff for this semester, I'm able to say that a small part of me is glad to be back. I'm thankful for lecturers who have been really understanding and have been kind to me in so many ways. I suppose that I expected some of them to be more cross or harsh with me but they have been very caring. I have also been given a little more time and space to settle a few more things - of which I am VERY grateful for. Out of concern for me, one lecturer even forbid me from being involved in one of the STM projects when one of my friends tried to get me involved. I'm also thankful for my friends who are trying to watch out for me during this time and at the same time understanding that I can't be with them all this week (cos I still need some time to go back to my shell).

Most of all, I'm super thankful that it looks like I'll be able to graduate this year after all. It's been quite a big question mark for me in the last few months.

For those of you who are reading this, I ask for you to continue to pray for me as I go on this final lap of my journey in the seminary. For now, I'll keep on taking my good friend's advice and take one day at a time. :)

2 comments:

Perng Shyang Teng said...

Friend, you'll never walk alone! You know what, this is my favorite football team's motto oh!
Jia you!

rccnlj said...

Hahaha- yeah I can tell that from your tagline. :) All the best for your thesis this sem too!