Friday, January 05, 2007

Growing up...


I have unexpectedly found myself with some time to blog - have been rushing around the whole day to complete the stuff I've to do before for my meeting with my pastor which is supposed to be now(plus the fact that I've taken a last minute leave to go up to the highlands meant that I have to clear tomorrow's workload too). After having a short lunch break (i ate at my desk after rushing downstairs to pack something at the cafeteria) and rushing around making calls, sending emails, clearing my desk, sending even more email and making it just in time for the supposed meeting at 2.30pm- he's asked for another 45 mins.

So i was thinking - to write a newsletter or blog?? Not exactly in writing-a-newsletter mode, so I here I am..

Last nite, a friend asked me about how I've changed in the last two months .I really hadn't had the time to think much about it. So, as I write this, it's a bit of a reflection time for me.

I've learnt to love the church more
Some people around me somehow get the impression that I look at the world with rose-tinted glasses. Trust me - I don't. I'm perfectly aware of the darker side of humanity and yet, I've learnt a long time ago that it's much better to look at the brighter side of things than to focus on the uglier side (of course sometimes I do overdo it - but am still learning how to balance). So, in the past year, while being in STM and exchanging thoughts with my community about the church - especially its weaknesses - I've come back to my home church to realise that I love the people in it very much despite its many weakness. Sure, it's not easy and there are MANY flaws. However, when one learns to focus on their strengths and to move on from there, you realise that the church is not exactly a totally bleak place- it just isn't perfect and people like you and me are a part of it. How we respond to it is important. Some people just sit and do nothing, some people just make comments and do nothing to change, some people just come on Sundays and go back unaffected... As for me, I've learnt that I need try to change what is within my grasp and as for what I cannot change, I learn to talk to the leaders of the church, commit it to God through prayer, and to try to gripe less.

I've learnt to complain less and to encourage more
Am not exactly at the point that I wish to be but I've come to realise time and time again that criticizing people in the church can cause a lot of pain and unnecessary hurts. A close friend of mine was hurt by certain things that the leaders said (some warranted- but mostly were unfounded). When she was doing well, no one said anything, but now that she doesn't seem to be doing very well, for a host of reasons (not necessarily her doing) negative comments seem to come pouring. I've realised that many times, I myself have not said much words of encouragement in the past year as I struggle with the issues in church. I've learnt that it is very important to do so. As I worked alongside with the children vacation workshop teachers, i was one day led to say "you're doing very well to a teacher". She had been working very hard and was very tired - I could visibly see her lighting up at my comment. It felt funny for me initially and I came to the realisation that I need to speak words of encouragement and to watch my words.

I've learnt to be more intentional
I guess that this is a lesson that I've been learning from my community in the past year. I've learnt that I CAN take breaks in between my work and be more intentional in building relationship with people. Am still learning it. I realise I do have a tendency to be so focused on certain things and neglect my relationship with people (some more than others). I've learnt that I need to include time for other people. I've been blessed by my time with people as I do so and I hope that I'm a blessing to others as I do so. I've learnt that as I do this, I hear stories about how God is working in people's lives or how much they need God in their lives.

Like I told my friend last nite, I've definitely changed. In some areas more than others. Some areas are definitely more visible than others.
However, there are areas in which I hope do not change:
That I would continue to have an attitude that is willing to learn and that I would desire to draw closer to God more and more each day.

Dear God,
Thank You for being with me - through each step, each stumble, each fall, each leap, each run in the past two months. I look forward to learning more this year - through family, friends, church, bible school - people that you bring across my path. Continue to teach me to love you more and to walk the path that you will me to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey... the girl in that silhouette does look like u when u were much younger.


-your real bro-

EJ said...

You're one of my role models...if that's any comfort. ^_^

(except for that silly thing 2 years ago...*bleK*)