Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Special People - Mum

Author's note: This post has been pending for quite a while. I began the series in October(read here and here) and it has been on hold. There is so much to write, so much to say. I'll probably miss out a lot in this post. However, as today is her special day as well, this post is dedicated to one of the most special people on the earth to me.

To My Dearest Mother,
Happy Birthday to you!!! Despite age has added another year to you today, I will always love you. You are one of the most amazing person I've ever known. Your zest for life and passion for God has always inspired me. You are one of the most creative and wisest person I've ever met and I wish that I could be more like you sometimes.

Life has not always been easy and had at times been filled with uncertainties, fears and heartache. Yet, your faith in God in those times has been an example to me. When things get hard, you've taught me how to hold on to Him who is unshakeable.

From you my love for music began. Remember the evenings where you'd sit at the piano and just worship God? I was a little girl and would just sit next to you as you sang . I loved the times where I sang along with you. Today, as I sit at the piano on Sundays or lead worship, it's because you have sown in my life so many years ago. As is your desire when you made me finish my grade 8 piano, despite our many arguments, you have passed on to me your of love of music to me and I thank you for this legacy from you. This gift has become such an essential part of me.

You have a knack of making the most mundane things fun - the word 'boring' was never in your vocabulary. Rainy days will always have a special memory for me. Studies were brought to life as you pointed out how they applied to life. You made education seem fun and until today, my college students who used to be your Sunday school kids still tell me how they remember the Sunday school lessons taught by you. Holidays were never boring in our house as games were played together - games that were fun and yet had many lessons for us. Where many of my peers were into tv and computer games, you've taught us that there was more to life than that.

You've also taught us that it's ok to be different - that following the crowd was not always the right thing to do. And though sometimes it's hard to go against the tide, it's more important to do what's right in the eyes of God and to follow Him wholeheartedly. The boundaries and principles you've placed in my life has become my guide and wisdom.

In the time I disappointed you, you still showed me how much you loved me still and never let me go. That lesson still resounds in me as you embodied to me how God never lets me go and still love me despite my failures. You literally dragged me from my path of self destruction and brought me to the path of restoration. I understood then the kind of love that would go to hell and back for someone that they loved.

Sometimes, you have been my conscience. You have taught me to sacrifice and help those who are in need. You constantly remind me to look beyond myself and to recognise the signs of how God works - and I'm still learning.

I'm so blessed to be able to call you 'mum' and I thank Him for the gift you. :)

With Love,
Your beloved daughter.

2 comments:

daniel said...

that was very eloquently put :)
i DO still remember her teaching us at CW how to do actions during worship! hehe
she's one of the few sunday school teachers i remember and cherish.

hope she reads your post!

rccnlj said...

Hi Poon! Yes.. She did read the post and she cried. :) I'll tell her about your comment too. Hehehe