Friday, July 31, 2009

My Cousin...

Am so proud of my cousin who came out in a Malay Mail article today! Read more below:


Ng's determination to succeed conquers his disability
Friday, July 31st, 2009 06:56:00
Ng

TRUE GRIT: Ng says he is lucky to have helpful colleagues

HOW many able-bodied people can boast of having earned RM2 million in sales before turning 30?

Not many to be sure but Ng Kien Ti has achieved this feat despite having cerebral palsy, a condition that he has to live with for life.

"Basically, my legs do not have the strength to walk or stand," said Ng, who uses a walker to move around.

Still, this disability didn't stop him from chalking up nearly RM2 million in sales within 15 months. Ng is a business development executive handling group travel agency bookings online for hotels.

His achievement comes from his remarkable self determination.

At 28 years of age, Ng has already served at several major hotels in the city as a business development executive.

He is now the e-business development manager at Dorsett Regency Hotel, Jalan Imbi, which he joined two months ago. His job is to keep track of the hotel's website, generate online sales and deal with clients. Despite being new at this hotel, his colleagues have only praise for him.

"Despite his disability, Ng is a very confident person and is full of self-esteem," says colleague Anthony Edwin.

"I am simply touched by his positivity and optimism." Dorsett Regency Hotel general manager Christina Toh said she is very proud to have such a committed and disciplined employee.

"To me, it doesn't matter if one is disabled," said Toh. "Ng completes whatever tasks are given to him and does a good job of it. I only have praise for our ‘star' employee!"

Ng is thankful that he is blessed with having the right people around him. "Every where I go, there are always people who are willing to help me go up stairs or lift things, which I am very grateful for.

"My colleagues especially, are very nice people. Everyone is kind and helpful. The hotel is like a second home to me, which suits its tagline 'You'll never miss home'!"

Ng is grateful to his parents who were a major source of encouragement. "My father and mother insisted that I continued studying all the way to my degree so that I could secure a good career," said the computer programming graduate.

"My parents' faith in me to succeed in life is still an encouragement for me to do well."

An independent person, Ng has even travelled around the world to countries such as China and Singapore, by himself.

"I don't think my disability is any dissuasion for me to go out and visit other places in the world," said Ng, who enjoys computer games, comedy films and music by Andrea Bocelli.

"When I was little, I pondered why God chose for me to be this way, and it made me rather depressed," Ng revealed.

"Then I started realising that being depressed over it isn't going to improve things. I told myself that I am who I am, and I am going to make the best out of the worst."

1 comment:

Charles Choy said...

Should nominate your cousin for the AYA Dream Malaysia Outstanding Awards. :)

Personally, I salute him. :)