Arabic Classes
Arabic classes has been excellent in the last few days. I'm really enjoying learning the language. I've finished learning the alphabets though am still practicing reading words. The curves can be rather confusing at times and I have to remember what vowels to add in between. :p some of the letters are harder to pronounce too - harder than Greek! :p But on the whole, I love the challenge of learning a new language. I also love surprising ppl when I can speak some words in Arabic. *grin* Hopefully, by the end of next week, I'll be able to read the words more quickly so that I can hopefully read them for worship on Sunday services.
Today I visited the pyramids(pic on the right above is from my camera!) and it was awesome! I had an excellent opportunity to go as one of my new friends from Malaysia (I got to know her before I left) came and called me last night and asked if I'd like to go with her and her housemate. I was a bit concerned at burdening my big brother and his family who did talk a bit about bringing me there. It was a valid concern when I found out that it was EP50 (RM35) for entrance fee for foreigners (can you believe it?! They charge only EP2 for locals -RM1.40!!!)- it would've been really expensive for him to bring his whole family along.
Anyways, the pyramids were an awesome sight up close. My companions and I paid another (EP100- RM70) to take an hour's ride on the carriage pulled by a horse around the pyramids- the camels would've cost RM70 PER PERSON. :p Talk about taking advantage of tourists. I was glad that I was with a friend who's been here for 6 years- she has a strong sense of right and wrong and even scolded the driver when he tried to take advantage of us. He kept on apologising and told her not to be mad with him and tried to make up for it by taking us to this shop and told the shopkeeper(pic on the right) to take good care of us- which was really great. I saw how papyrus was being made and there was some really beautiful paintings on the first floor. At the ground floor, they sold perfume and I bought a bottle called 'Lotus'. It smells really great and apparently lasts for some time. It was really expensive though. Fortunately, because my friend bought a bottle too, the guy gave us a smaller bottle('Secret of the Desert') for free which was awesome. He apparently charges EP300 per bottle and we bought it for half that price.
There were lots and lots of ppl at the place - and I must say that the ride was definitely a great way of moving around the pyramids. At least we had some shade. :D I think I'm already turning a shade darker from walking around in the past week -despite wearing long sleeve and long pants. :p
Other than the pyramids, my big brother and his family took me to Al-Azhar park earlier in the week and it was very beautiful. It was very green in comparison to the dustiness of the rest of the city. The rest of the team joined us and we played some games and had a great time of fellowship with one another. We did a lot of running and were tired out at the end of the trip. The kids really enjoyed the running around too. :)
So I must say, its been a rather exciting week, Arabic Classes, visiting the pyramids and Al-Azhar park. Next week, I must definitely make some time to go to the museum. Will also be taking a day trip to Alexandria with my two friends. Tomorrow, I'll go to the local shopping mall at the insistence of my young Egyptian friend. He's really cute (hahaha-he's only 13 in case anyone reading is getting funny ideas). He's been a great translator/commentator for me in church - especially when I felt really overwhelmed by everyone around me speaking Arabic. I'm gratified that he seems to like hanging out with me-my other host says that he was really insistent on passing the gift that I won in a lucky draw directly to me. I gave the gift to my housemate here cos it was a curling iron. She really loved it. *grin*
On the whole, I'm really beginning to fall in love with Cairo- not because of the awesome places. The people here are really amazing and as another foreigner who lives here says "It's magical." I wouldn't go to that extent but there's something about the people here that's really appealing. There are times when I'm still amazed that I'm here-but I'm really thankful to God for bringing me here.
2 comments:
Al Azhar park is really nice - did you try the buffet dinner there? They serve very nice food too, well, at least for me.
Pyramid - over-rated right?
kar yong: buffet dinner??!! I thought you'd be telling me to count the calories!!! *cheeky grin* nolaaa... we poor mi****aries have to watch our spending money.. hehehe.. They said that the food there costs at least 40 egyptian pounds *faint*
Pyramid - Oklaa.. It was an amazing sight but I still think a tad overpriced. :p I love the perfume there though...
Post a Comment