Saturday, November 24, 2007

Readings

Before I came here, I didn't think that I'd get much time to read but managed go through these two books in the past few weeks. Have been checking out bookstores here whenever I can and am getting acquainted with some of the local authors. However, it is so hard to decide which book to buy due to limited luggage space as well as the rather expensive prices of books here. Am looking forward to doing some book hunting with my Arabic teacher this Sunday at Khan el-Khalili. Am hoping that the books there will be cheaper than the ones at the bookshops that I've visited so far.

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
This book caught my eye when I was at my Big Brother's house.
I must say that it was a splendid novel- I found it really hard to put it down in between. Finished it in two readings. It gave an interesting insight to life in Afghanistan through the eyes of two women who formed an unexpected friendship. When I saw the novel at AUC (American University Cairo), it cost around 120 pounds(RM84)!! Am trying to look for 'The Kite Runner' cos I heard that it was really good too. Hopefully I'll be able to find it at the Khan.


2. Miniskirts, Mothers & Muslims - Christine Mallouhi
Am reading this book for a review with some friends. It gives some pretty good insights into some of the issues that women face in the Arab world. One of my friend mentioned that some stuff covered may be outdated but it does give quite a bit of food for thought as to why things are done a certain way. It certainly helped me to appreciate the differences in culture where before I may have found it constraining at times. Am really looking forward to hearing the thoughts of my friends on the book.

2 comments:

pearlie said...

The first book was popular in my office awhile ago when I was surveying what we are all reading for our newsletter - but I have no time yet lar for novels!!! at the rate I need to be going for TEE!
The 2nd book looks very interesting! I used to be reading quite a number of books on women in the middle eastern countries - I am fascinated by them and their lives.

Good to know that you are getting along with the language - would be something that would delight me too - at this phase of my life, I do have a penchant for languages and I heard women are generally good at it.

rccnlj said...

Thanks Pearlie for your comments. Am learning the language but not fast enough for my liking - though my friends who've been here for three months now tell me that I've managed to learn more than them (something that I'm really grateful for). I wish that I'm still able to converse more though. Am visiting this lady who doesn't speak any English at all and it gets pretty frustrating because I wish I could talk more with her. Nevertheless, am trusting God on this - she tells one of my friends that she enjoys my visits which I'm really glad about.