Saturday, June 30, 2007

Bridal Shower, CUG Games, Work


Am beginning to think that I've been overdoing it these last couple of days. My head is pounding slightly and my sis commented that I've got bags under my eyes (great! :p). I think I'm going to have to do an 8pm-er soon(sleeping at 8pm is an unnatural phenomena with me - happens once in a blue moon).

Since my last post, I've had my driving lessons (this time thankfully with quite a nice driving instructor), seeing Rev Tan about my Malaysian Church History assignment, gone back to church to do some work, went for CUG (I played every round of games that they had. Now my whole body's protesting at the contortions that I had to do), went to church again for more work (trying to maintain my patience and trying to refrain from arguing with some stubborn people thrown in between- I was this close from losing it. :p) and attended a bridal shower.


Some highlights:

Driving lesson - My driving instructor this time was a different guy. Thankfully he was quite pleasant and I'm now fairly confident in doing the slope, parallel parking and the three point turn thingy (I think I repeated all three around more than 20 times until both he and I were quite fed up - I am seriously looking forward to being on the road during the next class). This driving instructor is a recently retired bank officer and had just started being an instructor for two days. He has 4 children (oldest in form 5, youngest 2 months old). I also found out some other interesting facts - his world view of Christians was very Roman Catholic in nature. When he found out I was in bible school, he asked me if I was going to be a nun. When I mentioned that I might possibly become a pastor(somehow I found it a little more difficult telling him that I might be a missionary), he didn't understand what/who a pastor was and asked if that was similar to being a priest. When he finally understood, he likened a pastor to being an 'imam' (Muslim religious leader). He asked what my bro and sis were doing and understandably made a remark that in some way I chose the 'lesser path'. I think that a part of him was puzzled as to why I would choose to do what I am doing now. I seriously do not know if the answers I gave him were adequate but I myself was challenged to reflect on the path that I've chosen to take (in a good way).

CUG Games- Had quite a fun time in CUG last nite. It was also challenging. We played a game that required team work and good strategy planning. Through it, I learnt that Kerry can have quite a devious mind (he initially put me near the goal to be the 'striker' with the hopes that the opponent's team will not dare to bully/touch me as I was a girl and a church worker to boot - unfortunately, his brother, who was on the opponent's team had no such compunction. He even planted Ps Choon Meow at strategic places cos he said that the opponent's team would not dare to harass Ps Choon Meow either. :p), our CUG people are very competitive people and at the same time were very supportive of whoever were leading them. I played all five games(thanks to Kerry) for two hours. Was really a zombie when I finally reached home at 12. Some more went out with bro and sis after that cos was really hungry(didn't have dinner). Finally slept at 2am (*faint).


Bridal Shower - One of my childhood friend, Alicia Chew, is getting married next month. The Chew sisters are quite known for organizing events. This event was quite different from the other bridal showers I've attended. We went to a french restaurant and.... we learnt cooking from a french chef, Jean Michel. We basically learnt how to cook whatever that was going to be on the dinner menu and so it was pretty cool to learn to make creme brulee, Lamb Shanks Confit and some bruschettas (mushroom, pate, the ones with tomatoes and the ones with olive). Alicia was roped in to help the chef (on the pretext that she was going to be a wife soon, so she might as well learn to cook *grin*). It was an eye opening experience with lots of laughs as the chef was quite entertaining and engaging with his stories. There was only 15 of us (including her mother and 3 sisters) so it was very cosy and relaxing. We didn't even notice the time flying. The Chew sisters also managed to get her fiance Mark(now still in the US), to do a video to introduce himself to us and to share stories of how they met, and their most memorable experience together, how he proposed, etc... It helped us to get to know him a bit better. I was just very happy for Alicia especially as I know I how long she's been waiting to marry. :D

No comments: