Was just having a conversation with my mother in the morning as she picked me up from work to send me home to rest. As I spoke with her, I was reminded again of how blessed I am to have her for my mother.
My mother is a woman with lots of skills and wisdom. She also has a heart for missions. Yet, for all her giftings, she chose to be a stay at home mother to us instead of going out to work. She found ways to earn an income from the home while being there for us when we needed her. This meant that she had to be cook, driver, tuition teacher, income earner, financial manager, etc... Though I know it must've been tough for her, she chose to be with us. As she told me this morning, she'd always considered myself, my bro and my sis to be her top ministry priority. *wow*
As I look at all my skills, giftings and ministry abilities right now, I must say that I owe it all to my mother. She's one of the best teachers I know. She teaches and inspires us by example and not by mere words of commands.
I remember when I was young, she'd sit at the piano in the evenings and sing hymns or songs while playing the piano. I remember thinking to my self - 'when I grow older, I want to be like mum. I want to be able to play and sing on the piano - maybe even better than her.' Then, I'd never dreamed that it would one day be a major part of my work- worship leading in church and playing the piano from time to time.
I remember the times when my mum, myself, my bro and my sis sitting around the dinner table playing word games and scrabble after dinner. Mum was always the champion in the word games. I remember thinking too that I would love to win her when I grew older and sought to improve my vocabulary and read extensively. Today my English is what it is because of my mum's creative way of getting me interested in learning the English language.
As I look at my mother, I wish that many Christian mothers would see ministry the way my mum does - so that there will be a next generation of Christians that will be strong in their faith and that the church of Christ will be better for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment