As I interact with them, I realise again and again how much they need to be equipped to face the challenges of life rather than just sheltering them. I find that many times they are crying out to know how to deal with situations that they come up with. They are also crying out for more adults to be more involved and interested in them - I suppose that this might be a natural cry as many of them already have parents who are both working and this perhaps lead to wanting more visible concern from the adults (both young and old) in the church. I can really see how they appreciate whenever and adult comes over to the fellowship and just talk with them.
On Saturday, during the last 10 mins of Worship Ministry prayer meet where I encouraged the members of the worship ministry to grab someone and to pray and minister to one another, one of the young people ask me "Will you please grab me?" That question really tugged a part of my heart. I was glad just to be able to pray for her as well as talk with her. As my young friend prayed for me, I realised this - the young people in the church really need more interaction with the older ones in the church. I think it's just sad how individuals are so concerned with their own issues that they fail to see the needs of the young people - the very people that need them. I'm not saying that the older ones have to 'rescue' them. I think they just need to make a little effort to talk and get to know the young people.
Praying for this girl reminded me of the tough times I faced during my teenage years. I remembered how much it meant to me to have some of the uncles and aunties, older brothers and sisters in church just talk to me and made me feel as if they were really part of my family - my family in Christ. Many times, when things got really tough at home and I couldn't share my struggles with anyone, I remembered how much it meant for me to have the young adults talk to me and be my friend during those days - people like gramps' age group and slightly older. The fact that they were just there helped - even though they didn't know the struggles that I was going through. I looked forward to the weekends and considered the church my second home - a place where I could find a short respite from the battering of the week - because of the comfort God brought through such people.
No comments:
Post a Comment