Monday, August 13, 2007

CUG camp recap and reflection

Came back from a great time with the young people in my church earlier today. I even kidded with Ps Choon Meow while building a sandcastle with my group on Saturday morning that we should do this kind of thing more often - good break from the office. ;) [Pic - uncle CM was building a turtle while SY's our mascot mermaid. Our team won - we did an 'under the sea' theme. Kenneth and both Kevins built a really cool shark in the sand too].


It started out quite eventfully. Leon was supposed to come pick me up from STM and then I was supposed to take him out for dinner around in Seremban. However, as he approached the Senawang toll, something went wrong with his car (his timing belt broke) - despite him sending it for service just the day before. So we were around until 9-ish and poor uncle CM had to come get us. G and Josh and Beena had to send me to senawang to meet them (thanks guys!). Talk about more unwanted happenings -it was a rather crappy day for me already. Jason later on shared with me that he had quite a horrible day too- the poor guy was also rather sick when he got there and almost decided not to attend. I was glad that he did - I could get dinner with him and spend some time catching up while the rest played some games.

[Pic -Poon as Donatello in the sand]. In spite of how it began, it was an excellent camp. I had a great time bonding with the young people as well as Ps Choon Meow’s family. Jason, Leon and I were the only 3 young adults there- they dubbed us the overage youth *grimace*. I was glad to have the other two around - reminded me of the times we had when we all their age and the struggles that we've overcome since then. I was allocated to stay in the same apartment as them(Ps CM's family). I was reminded of my family in my younger days as I stayed with them. Sarah, the oldest reminded me of me when I was her age - how she has to be the big sister and watch over her siblings. Liz is so adorable - she's such and extrovert and tailing after everyone else. It was just so awesome to see her joining us in our praise and worship. We were singing 'Give us clean hands' and I was just touched to see her singing so earnestly especially the line 'let us not lift our souls to another'. Elijah was also so adorable - throughout the camp everyone wanted to hug him, carry him, play with him. *grin* He's definitely a younger version of uncle CM.

[Pic- Kenneth among the roses. He was just really really comfortable. ;)]
On the overall, I think that the group's definitely much closer after the camp. I was encouraged by the initiative and ownership taken by the young people. Through them, I see hope for the future of the church. Apart from the fun and games (there were heaps of those - dunno where they get the energy from. :p), we had some devotional time as well as praise and worship.

[Pic - Jin Wei wearing all our team tokens - my team was the one with the orange headband a.k.a Michaelangelo. The other teams were Rafael(red band), Leonardo(purple) and Donatello (blue plaits)]One of the young people also led a sharing - she challenged the rest of the group about how they viewed the church and their commitment to it. The song below summarized her challenge to the group. I think the song's pretty awesome. There was a time of prayer as well. Another committee member also challenged the group to reconcile with those that have hurt them - I saw one or two doing that (*sob* love these people so much - am so proud of them too!). One or two shared with me that they are beginning to see how they've always expected others to welcome them into the ministry and forget that they too make up the CUG and how they too need to make the effort to welcome others. Like I said, am just so proud of my young ppl.

PS: The food was really really good. It was definitely one of the best camp food that i've had - very home cooked style. One of the young ppl remarked that they found it remarkable that they didn't get thirsty after drinking the soup and it was not salty.


Dear God,
Thank You for the awesome time at camp and for what you're doing among our young people. I pray that you will watch over them and protect them from evil. They are so precious. Thank You for the blessing of being a part of their lives.

No comments: