Friday, August 03, 2007

My Readings...

In STM, we have required readings for almost all the classes. Occasionally, when I want a break from the 'intellectual stuff', I read some fictional stories... I generally love fiction not only because it's quite easy to follow, but it gives an insight to stories and situation from a different perspective and I learn a lot from them (hmmm - almost time to write another story on my blog soon)....

So far, since the beginning of this sem, I've finished reading the following:

1. 'As sure as the Dawn' by Francine Rivers-
This is the third book of Francine Rivers famous trilogy. The first two talked primarily of a Jewish girl, Hadassah who was taken out of her home to become a slave during the ancient Roman times. This particular book talks about the struggle of a retired gladiator from Germany in the Ancient Days of Rome. It tells the story about the journey of that gladiator in not only finding his place in society of that time - but his yearning to go back to his home country. In the end, though he finds his way home, but finds he doesn't fit there any more. Also, because of the living testimony of the people around him who journeyed with him to his home, he eventually accepts the Christian faith.

Personally, though some parts may seem surreal, I was moved by certain bits - like how Christians were struggling and working out their faith. It also gave me a glimpse of how being a Christian in those times must have been really difficult for them. Some of the chapters really moved me to bits - like the part where the Roman soldier died - yet he forgave his murderer and prayed that his murderer would find God....


2. 'A Man Called Dave' by Dave Pelzer
Inherited this book from Sarah. Quite an interesting book - talks about a man who grew up an abusive home... His mother never treated him as a human being but as an 'it'. She even stabbed him and did all sorts of horrible things to him. This book talks about his journey in overcoming his abusive childhood as well as how it affects his life and worldview. Some bits were quite inspiring.. As I said, it makes an interesting read...

3. 'Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire' by J.K. Rowling
Just finished reading this book yesterday afternoon (instead of sleeping).. Not going to say more about this since most have read this book...

2 comments:

Kar Yong said...

wah...busy blogging ah...good...

rccnlj said...

:) am trying to. Have another post or two to post up before the day is over - if i can find the time...