Time: 12pm in Cairo
Am at a McDonalds in Cairo - paid RM17 for a medium meal (equivalent to a large sized meal in Malaysia). I'm so glad that they have free wi-fi though. At least I can use my own computer.
I started my Arabic classes today. I thankfully found my way to downtown Cairo from my place(40 mins away) without at peak hour without getting lost. I had to take the taxi and the bus. Crossing the main street from my place was rather my first challenge - the road was chock-full of cars (two-three times more congested than Malaysia) and the cars were moving really fast - it took me at least 5 mins. Thankfully managed to hail a cab after a few tries and I was grateful that the taxi guy understood where I wanted to go (the train station that I was headed to is a bit of a tongue twister). After that, I had to board a train. One good thing about the train is that there are two carriages for women only. I had to catch the train at peak hour so it was a squeeze - two to three times worse than being on the lrt at peak hours. Everyone's really squeezed together - they push you onto the train and they push you off the train too. :p So that was rather a bit of an experience. Travelling by trains are really cheap - it costs around 1 egyptian pound (Around Rm0.70) no matter how far you go.
Arabic lessons have been rather interesting - was learning the half the alphabets today (14 out of 28 alphabets). It seems to be pretty similar to Hebrew(whatever little that I remember from NT4 anyways). Pretty happy with my progress. Will have to go home and practice. I have classes for 2 hours on Tues-Thurs and Sundays or Mondays.
Am planning to go tour the museum on Thursday after class for more or less the rest of the day to explore before heading to church to meet the young ppl. okies.. have to go off now, otherwise I'll be fighting with the lunch crowd on the train. :p
7 comments:
Heyaaa! Had wanted to ask Lee Yng when I met her on Sun about you - didn't realise you're already in Cairo. Wonderful ... take good care of yourself, y'hear? :)
This one "mommy" speaking ... haha ... I AM one.
Will check here often to see how you are doing ;)
I usually don't say this bec more often than not I will break my promise - but I will remember you in prayer, at least I will try.
Shalom!
Thanks Pearlie! Really appreciate it.. Will try to write here as often as I am able..
Shalom!
haha.. i tot u were going for aerobic classes.. is that how u spell it??
anyways, take care ya..
me =( so pray hard that i can adjust back to work. feeling quite low.
plus i had allergic reaction to sth the day before and my eyes both swell up like aliens or sth.. man. io really look like a freak show k..
will email u guys the pics..
anyways, enough abt me..
take care k..
hugs..
sis -e-
keep blogging to let us know ur whereabouts. as long as u keep blogging, we know u are ok!
enjoy the cairo museum visit. half a day may not be enough if u go slow. see especially the whole floor for king tut and his fabulous treasures. unfortunately, those days when i went, no flash photography allowed. but bring camera just in case they now allow use without flash. a place not to be missed.
catch the merenptah steele (with the habiru word at bottom left corner). rosetta stone in cairo museum is only a replica. ori is in london.
Large McD?? Wei...what happen to your diet??
Camera still not allowed as at last year when I went. You need to leave it at the entrance. But nothing mentioned about mobile phone camera!
Remember the Pizza Hut and the Sounds and Lights at the Pyramids....
LKY - McD's was more a practical thing laa... cos they have wi-fi there.. AND I didn't know it was large... I ordered a medium sized one thinking it'll be the same size as back home.. :P
Hahaha.. I remember about the Pizza Hut- didn't go though cos the ppl I went with didn't want to stay till late in the evening and they had stuff to do... :( Nevertheless, it was an exciting visit.. (Will *hopefully* blog it in my next post)
Rabbi: Thanks for your note.. Will blog whenever I can- though it can be difficult getting online cos I have to rely on the ppl here- unless I go to McDonalds. *grin*
Have yet to go to the Cairo Museum - am thinking of going on Monday when I have more or less the whole day before my classes start. LKY is right. No flash photography is allowed. :( Cameras are allowed in though you have to pay an extra 10pounds. I think I'll probably do that..
Post a Comment