Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Unwanted evening adventure

Life is so ironic sometimes, I've been wondering what to blog about the whole day and I now find myself with lots to blog about - in a totally unexpected way... Most of the day went perfectly ok. I managed to wake up to go for chapel and managed to get some rest in between classes. My energy level was understandably quite low(due to lack of food) and I was a little out of it during the afternoon homiletic class - thankfully my comments were still coherent. After class, went out for a bit with Lee Yng, Lucy and David to buy his sports shoes and did a bit of shopping too. Then came back and had dinner with my two buddies - Josh and Gerrad. Did a bit of work for the special occasion sermon next week, then my unwanted adventure began.... Looks like I'm going to have a bit of explaining to do to Mr Chew(the student dean) tomorrow morning and the whole of STM is going to know about it... *SigH* Am still getting over the shock....

Basically Lucy and I went to practice driving for tomorrow's test... We went to practice at the route where the test was going to be held. During the second round, when I was on the way back, we sorta went off track (to cut short the route and to head back). It was quite dark and it was in one of those remote kampung places... I remember thinking that it would be just BAD if something were to happen and we were both stranded there - and it was a possibility as there are times when I seem to get into this kind of fixes... The next thing I knew, I drove us into this HUGE hole that we both didn't notice - it being dark and all (my mum will have lots to say about this when she finds out)... [Pic - guys checking out the hole and the tyre].

One tyre was stuck in the hole that was covered with this makeshift wood WITH NAILS(trust Malaysians to do stuff like that). The tyre very obviously started to puncture(I could hear the hissing sound)... My nightmare of a thought came true in a matter of minutes - Lucy and I stranded and alone in a dark kampung area next to a mamak shop with one lady who was of absolute no help to us at all.. :P

Lucy was absolutely fantastic - she tried got the jack out of the boot and tried to raise the car while I made called Pauline, Lee Yng and Gerrad for help. Gerrad said that he'd come and bring some guys along (I told him to bring 3). Thank God for mobile phones - especially ones with lights - it was very handy. The soil around the car was soft and because one of the tyres were in the hole it took a while for Lucy lift the car with the jack. Around this time, a Malay guy on a motor bike stopped to assist us - however, the three of us still could not get the car out. Gerrad and the guys arrived shortly after that. Instead of 3 guys, he brought SIX! Oh.. the humiliation... It was so embarassinglaa... However I was extremely grateful for the 'stm rescue team' that consisted of Gerrad and Joshua (of course), Jacob, Charles, Rod(to show the way) AND Billy.. [pic - everyone chipping in]

In a short time, the guys managed to pull the car out (G kept on telling me that there was no way 3 guys could've pulled the car out of the hole.. :P) AND change the punctured tyre. I was really really REALLY grateful for their help - now I know how it feels like to be a 'damsel in distress' with the calvary along to help (in this case 6 knights in two cars - one wira and one iswara. *cheeky grin*). [Pic - Joshua changing the tyre]

In the end, 3 cars came back at 11.15 and as I said, I'll have some explaining to do to Mr Chew tomorrow(about why we came back after our 11pm curfew)... *sighhh.. Half wanted to cry earlier too - sometimes it just sucks to be a girl and be 'emo' over stuff like this. :p Thank God for a friend's weird sense of imagination(he thought I climbed up a tree and got stuck or something like that) and humor who helped to subside the need to cry.. I also half wanted to pummel him for laughing at my predicament. :p

Thankfully, the shock is finally fading and fatigue is slowly overtaking me now(blogging can be rather therepeutic i guess)... Tomorrow will be having driving test... Hope that I will be up to it - good thing the ride home was quite smooth in spite of all that happened - otherwise I'd be even more traumatised.. :p

Thank You God for your protection. Your angels must've been really working overtime tonite. :D

PS: Started participating in the NECF prayer and fast today as well. Hmmm... I wonder if there was a connection somehow. :p

5 comments:

servant of JC said...

Haha... Actually we had to control the crowd.. if not more would have come yesterday haha.. Anyway good to hear you have passed the driving test. Congrats!!!

rccnlj said...

Thanks G! You had to control the crowd??!!! Wow... At times like these, am so glad to be part of the STM community!

Kar Yong said...

hahaha...so this is what the unwanted adventure is all about. I thot you climb up the big tree in front of the dorm in search of some sort of adventure and perhaps a different perspective of the seminary, and then you are like the cat who gets stuck there and does not how to come down the tree, hence the SOS to the STM rescue team...

BTW, so glad you passed your driving test.

EJ said...

angels not so cham. they don't have 11pm curfew so can still come out and help you. :P

rccnlj said...

Kar Yong: Thanks heaps! But I still think you are quite teruk sometimes... *Cheeky grin*