Saturday, August 09, 2008

The house

Feeling tired at the moment. Am supposed to finish up with my preparations(surprise surprise - I'm actually teaching the ABS class :p) for my FINAL church history class tomorrow (yippee!!) - but find myself somewhat wiped out. Thought to take a break to blog before I plunge back in to lesson preparations - will be talking about St Anthony, Constantine and wrapping up the series on the history of the early church(till AD300). The classes have been a good place for me to interact more with the adults in my church and am happy to see that those who are in the class (it's just too weird to call them 'students') are quite enthusiastic about the class. Was particularly encouraged when one of the adults asked if they could just sit in for that class(and mentioned that they won't be coming back for the following ones) told me later that she would be coming in for the rest of the classes!! Had some discussion time last week about what they've and it's been good to listen to their responses and how they have been challenged through the class - the timing was great as it tied in with the sermon that day during service. During the class on 'persecution', I asked them the question if they think that they'd choose to be Christians if they were living in those days, knowing that they'd face persecution. I appreciated very much their honest answers. I'm blessed to be in the class with this bunch of ppl who have been encouraging to me.


On a different note, I just came back from Borders after having dinner with my sis. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to lounge around in a bookshop so it was a bit of a treat. Sorta reminded me of the times when I went with Nicole and Lee in Cairo looking for a good English bookshop. We loved visiting the one at the American University of Cairo or Diwani's. I bought a couple of interesting novels that were locally written (translated into English). Those who know me would know how much I love a good story. In Cairo, I was particularly enthralled by the ones written by the famous Naguib Mahfouz(Egyptian author). A pity that I can't find stories written by him here in Malaysia.


Anyways this evening, I read most of the book called 'The House' by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. I must say that the way Frank Peretti writes his stories are absolutely captivating. I don't want to reveal all but I must say that I love the way he and Dekker wrote the story and parallelising 'the house' with the condition of the human heart. It was a gripping story which food for thought - just the kind of books that I love. Definitely must find more time to camp out in bookshops in the future. *happy sigh*

No comments: