*wanted to post this post before the previous post but was waylaid (obviously!). And thought to post this up since I'm currently officially behind someone's post by 5 (will be 4 after this) posts now.
As I've mentioned previously, I've been teaching Early Church History(up to AD300) in my church for the last couple of weeks and the last Sunday was the final class of the lot. As one of my lecturers, Mr Allen says, in teaching one sometimes learn more about the subject than the students. I really agree with him on this as I felt that I've gained a greater perspective on the topic that when I actually sat in class.
It was quite fun to put things together and seeing the connection - especially between the past and today - and getting those who are learning excited about it as well. Anyways, I did tell those taking the class that I hope that they'd continue in their desire to learn. There was a lot of good questions and responses in the final class as we talked about St Anthony the great, the conversion of Constantine, the council of Nicaea, St Augustine and the Schism between the East and West. We also talked about the relation between the state and the church, the formulation of the Nicene creed, the beginnings of monasteries (I'm really glad again for the foundations that my seminary training has given me - though I'll write about it in another post).
Though I'm glad to see the class end (it's definitely time to work on assignments!), it was definitely a nice addition for my usual weekend practical (Thanks to the culprit who suggested me to take the class in the first place - in spite of the potential flak that I got from several people about doing too much). Some of the people of the class was nice enough to want to take myself and my co-teacher out for a nice meal one of these days - which makes the teaching even more rewarding. ;)
As I've mentioned previously, I've been teaching Early Church History(up to AD300) in my church for the last couple of weeks and the last Sunday was the final class of the lot. As one of my lecturers, Mr Allen says, in teaching one sometimes learn more about the subject than the students. I really agree with him on this as I felt that I've gained a greater perspective on the topic that when I actually sat in class.
It was quite fun to put things together and seeing the connection - especially between the past and today - and getting those who are learning excited about it as well. Anyways, I did tell those taking the class that I hope that they'd continue in their desire to learn. There was a lot of good questions and responses in the final class as we talked about St Anthony the great, the conversion of Constantine, the council of Nicaea, St Augustine and the Schism between the East and West. We also talked about the relation between the state and the church, the formulation of the Nicene creed, the beginnings of monasteries (I'm really glad again for the foundations that my seminary training has given me - though I'll write about it in another post).
Though I'm glad to see the class end (it's definitely time to work on assignments!), it was definitely a nice addition for my usual weekend practical (Thanks to the culprit who suggested me to take the class in the first place - in spite of the potential flak that I got from several people about doing too much). Some of the people of the class was nice enough to want to take myself and my co-teacher out for a nice meal one of these days - which makes the teaching even more rewarding. ;)
2 comments:
Culprit? What's that?
Hahahhaha - you want me to buy a dictionary for your library? *grin*
It really meant to say thank you for the opportunity (and cucuk you at the same time - which you know I cannot resist sometimes). It was definitely a great learning experience for me. :) - just no more ABS classes for the rest of THIS year ya? :D
Post a Comment