Friday, May 05, 2006

He gives and takes away

I went to that place again
Of confusion and wrestling with Him
The struggle of opening the palm of my hands
And giving Him the things that has been in my grasp
The gifts that He had given me
Was perhaps beginning to become more precious to me than Him

So when He asked if I'd give them back to Him
And did not promise to give me something better
Nor promise to give them back to me
I struggled and struggled
Till my soul was weary
And my heart felt bruised again

Slowly, my tightly clenched fists opened
And with palms upturned in surrender
I said to Him "You give and take away"
He in His grace said, "I love you, my child and friend
You may have them again"

With tears in my eyes
I looked at the gifts on my palms
And loved them and appreciated them more
Because they were truly gifts from Him
And they taught me again of His love for me

No comments: