Monday, May 01, 2006

Reflections and kids

Had a great time over the weekend - albeit it was rather tiring. Went for a camp in PD and was helping my mum out with the kids programme along with Oli and Sue Ann. Came back and collapsed for a few hours... While it was very 'action packed' and required a lot of planning, I had some opportunities to just sit and think through certain things - though it meant having to forgo time with friends that I really wanted to spend time with...



Reflecting on good memories
It was just great to be able to sit in the mornings(and evenings) and just gaze out into the ocean... I was just reminded about the times when I was in Melbourne and how I would just hop on to a tram and take a ride to St Kilda beach and just sit at the jetty for an hour - the cold wind blowing in my face, the sound of the ocean in my ears and just enjoying the vastness of the ocean - while I was just enjoying the warmth of my coat and how every once in a while I'd rub my hands together to get warmer.

I'd remember the times whe I'd just walk along Southbank (A river at the edge of Melbourne city)- just for the fun of it and just enjoy the scenery. It was one of the highlights of my time in Melbourne and it was just great to just walk alone (and yet not quite alone) and reflect and just conversing with God and appreciating the work of His hands.

I remember going to these places when I just wanted 'time out' - times when I was just depressed about life and when I had certain issues that I was struggling with and needed solitude time - when I needed something more than the solace that people provide.

So when I went to PD, while I had a great time with the kids, God knew how much I have been yearning for 'time out' - I've been suggesting to a friend that we could take a drive to PD just to go to have solitude time with God at the beach for a while now- even though it meant 5 mins or so sometimes. I know that God is everywhere, but for me, there's just something about bodies of water or nature and time with God..

Reflection about children

I've also realised that it's been a while since I've spent so much time with kids - the big ones at STM doesn't count *hehehe* - I think the last time was with the Christmas programme last December but even then it was different. Got to know some of them and I must say this about kids - they can be a rather handful at times, but they bring great joy(No. I am not brooding to have my own. I've decided a while ago, that I'd let God decide for me in this area). There is this air of innocence about them and they just say it as it is - if they don't like certain things, they just say it - and you just know where you stand with them.


I know many people who find children intimidating - and it does rather take some skill to bring them up. Nevertheless, I can't explain this clearly, but relating to them is very different from relating to someone your age or older - and in a way, I've learnt about how God relates to us as His children - very different from just being a friend... It reminded me that while I am learning a lot about friendships, God relates to us in very different ways and how He is indeed our all in all.


As I interacted with the children and thoroughly enjoyed them, the thought of children who don't have the security that these children have - those who go hungry, those who see violence everyday, those that are involved in prostitution for whatever reasons - passed through my mind... Though they may not realise it, the children that I was with are blessed - sure, they too have issues that they struggle with - but they are blessed nevertheless.

Hanging out with Sue Ann and short reflection on shopping
It was great to have Sue Ann there and it was a different way of spending time with her. It twas the first time we walked together on a beach while we shared our hearts and it was a first for us both to be serving together in a children's programme. We realise how different it is from serving together with the Cross gen ministry.

We also went shopping - am not fond of shopping - but she was telling me about how cheap these shirts were and I've been wanting to get some new tops anyways (They were all below RM10!!!). I bought 3 shirts that I'm pretty satisfied with. I also bought a necklace - I have a thing for certain types of necklaces.. (Sue Ann said - BLUE AGAIN?? *heheh*.. I would've gotten a purple one if they had any but those are harder to find.)

Anyways, while I was looking for a necklace, I was looking around and asking myself, "what makes it THE deciding factor for me?". I realised that many times, I have a perception of what something should be like and my preferences come into play.. Most of the time, I find that I buy stuff that meets or surpases those expectations.. I'm sure that more reflection can be done on this - but brain was tired d... The heat was a killer this afternoon too... :P

Sue Ann and I went for a ride to check out our upcoming Cross Gen camp site.. She was pretty excited about it when we saw the place.. I was quite impressed and we're both looking forward to the camp... We scoped the place twice and acted like a bunch of tourists. *hahaha*
She sent me back to STM and I showed her around the place - so she could get a 'visual' when I tell her stuff the next time... :)

All in all, it was another tiring but great weekend.

No comments: