Monday, July 02, 2007

Trip to Malacca with Pastorate Group



I was just warring with myself - to blog about my pastorate group(STM small group) outing or to watch a movie on dvd that I've been having for some time now (looks like Greg Kinnear and Hugh Jackman's just got to wait. Maybe I'll just watch it after this if I'm not too tired). Blogging obviously won out.
I went to Malacca with my pastorate group yesterday afternoon and came back this afternoon.
I must say that overall it was a pretty good trip ... We ate lots of food, stayed at a pretty nice place (one of our lecturer family's home - it was really nice of her to let us stay), went for a spot of sightseeing and shopping.

We went to the Portuguese Settlement last nite and had dinner(comprised mainly of seafood) there. I'm generally not too fond of seafood, but I must say that the food there was not too bad. The baked fish, one of their specialties, was pretty good. I really liked the squid fritters too. After that, we went to Jonker's walk and just did a spot of sightseeing there. I'm not much of a shopper, but I loved the quaint shops along the street and I must say that they had some pretty interesting knick-knacks. I especially loved the old paintings of scenes that they had of Malacca - seriously regretted not buying one or two to place in my room at STM (the price was pretty reasonable too). Maybe next time. Anyways, I bought the guys a bamboo thingo that flies. It was one of the interesting knick knacks that Jacob and I spotted as we walked around. Some of my friends are having a bit of fun with it. *grin* On the way back to the place that we were staying, Jacob asked if we could stop to buy some durian. It was a pity that I'm still having my cough - or I'd join them. Apparently the durian was very good. I was very tired and slept early (I think it was around 11pm).

This morning, we had some pineapple tarts for breakfast that Sarah (my pastorate group lecturer and friend) bought from Jonker's Walk the night before. This was followed by a good time of group devotion led by her. We had a good time of prayer for one another then it was time to pack. Jacob showed us the way for Malacca's famous chicken rice balls. We had another walk to Jonker's street and this time we visited the day time shops. I particularly loved the shop with the T-shirts. They had some unique Malaysian designs. A pity I didn't bring more money with me. I loved the shop with the necklaces. Like I said, I'm actually not much of a shopper. I generally only enjoy shopping for books and shopping for 'tech' stuff. However, one of my weakness is that I love shopping for accessories... There was a shop that had lovely necklaces and bracelets for very reasonable prices. I was so estatic! *grin*

We went for some cendol after that. I tried durian cendol for the first time in my life and it was absolutely heavenly! Li Sze and I really loved our durian cendols. The rest enjoyed the normal cendol too. It was an absolutely hot day and we were longing for something cooling by then so the cendols really hit the right spot. It was almost time to head back to Seremban after our cendol consumption - but before that, we went to the new shopping complex in Malacca and did a spot of shopping. The prices there were seriously reasonable as there was a sale going on. I'm now officially broke for the rest of this week. :p Li Sze and I are planning to go back one of these weeks to finish up our shopping - maybe in two weeks time. That way I can go back to get one or two stuff that I really wanted to get. *grin*

*******************************
On a funny note, one of the trip's highlight was watching Jacob eat. That boy can seriously eat - as we walked along Jonker's walk, he would stop and try out stuff at every few shops. I even took a photo of him eating. I seriously do not know where all his food goes to. :p

3 comments:

Kar Yong said...

can eat and not pun on weight...that's a perfect gift from above...

Kar Yong said...

oh yes, ruth, looks like this gift of eating-and-not-put-on-weight is one that i suspect you eagerly desire for...

rccnlj said...

Very teruk laa you... :p But yeahlaa... I love my food too much - much to my mother's dismay. ;)