Friday, March 21, 2008

Reflections for Good Friday 2008

Earlier today, someone in church prayed about how we as Christians have sometimes become desensitised to what Christ has done for us on the cross and asked God to make it real again. Good Friday, Easter and Christmas have become merely another event.

As the prayer went on, it got me thinking - how do we end up making one of the most significant event for a Christian to another mere event? That some how, some way, we just have to contrive some emotion just because it's Good Friday, Easter and Christmas. I shudder to think then what we subconciously think on other days - what Jesus has done for us and the love of God then mean on 'normal' days... Lately, when I talk with some of my young people during Bible study discussions, I find it rather worrying when they tell me honestly that the fact that Jesus died sometimes no longer holds any meaning for them.

I wonder if our lifestyles have a great part to do with it. I wonder if we have let the busyness and demands of life to crowd out our souls. We push God aside instead of allowing Him to govern our lives. Other things seem to matter more - how comfortable we can get, how much money we can get, etc..... We forget to practice dying to ourselves. I wonder then if we no longer become sensitive to the sacrifice of Christ because we ourselves no longer sacrifice. We do things for others of give out of our own convenience.

For me personally, I admit that it's so easy to put my own needs and wants first - instead of helping those who are in need around me. I was joking with my friend the other day that sometimes "when it rains, it floods". Somehow, people seem to need help when I'm already drowning with heaps of stuff. It's so easy to push those who are in need aside. I forget that I live no longer for myself but for Christ.

STM had the stations of the cross this year to encourage us to reflect on the footsteps of Christ to the cross. Regretfully, I was not able to participate as I was sick in bed. Nevertheless, I was able to think and pray (when I was awake) through the work of Christ and listen to some of the songs that I posted up earlier to prepare my heart for this weekend ahead. A friend of mine who shared some insights about Peter denying Christ also got me thinking.

Christ has died for me. I cannot follow Him merely by words. By doing so, His dying becomes merely another event, another ritual. To what extent am I willing to sacrifice for Him- will I be willing to give up my life? Or will I be like Peter, professing Christ's deity but when the time comes, will I deny my Lord? I, who have seen His grace and mercy in my life over and over again - will I still choose to put my life over His in both the small things and the big things of life?

I can only honestly say- I have so much more to learn, so much more that is lacking, so much farther to go. Yet, by the grace of God, I am what I am. As I remember His grace - if only momentarily, for I seem to forget so easily - the wonder of the life and death and resurrection of Christ washes over me and I can only but worship Him...

2 comments:

pearlie said...

I am going through the same journey and I was just bemoaning the fact how little we teach and meditate on the cross these days. I bemoan the fact that with all the drama and hype and cliches, the very depth of the work of the cross is buried deep and forgotten. We must return to the cross - we must take Paul's letters at heart if we haven't already.

rccnlj said...

Pearlie - Amen. :)