Wednesday, October 15, 2008

God help the outcast

I thought of this song during one of my social ministry classes during this semester. There's actually another version sung by Bette Middler which I am quite struck by where the bridge goes:
'I don't know if there's a reason why some are blessed and some are not,
And why the few you seem to favour
They fear us, flee us and try not to see us'
However, I chose this version because of the bit that portrays the parishioners - which seems so sad but true sometimes.



Esmeralda
I don't know if You can hear me
Or if You're even there
I don't know if You would listen
To a gypsy's prayer
Yes, I know I'm just an outcast
I shouldn't speak to you
Still I see Your face and wonder...
Were You once an outcast too?

God help the outcasts
Hungry from birth
Show them the mercy
They don't find on earth
God help my people
We look to You still
God help the outcasts
Or nobody will

Parishioners
I ask for wealth
I ask for fame
I ask for glory to shine on my name
I ask for love I can posess
I ask for God and His angels to bless me

Esmeralda
I ask for nothing
I can get by
But I know so many
Less lucky than I
Please help my people
The poor and downtrod
I thought we all were
The children of God
God help the outcasts
Children of God

No comments: