Maybe it's because of Criminal Minds (my current favourite tv series). Maybe it's because of training in seminary. I find that I'm learning to appreciate good quotes from people. I was just browsing through some stuff for my theology class and I came across the following quotes that struck me from St Augustine:
"Do you wish to be great? Then begin by being. Do you desire to construct a vast and lofty fabric? Think first about the foundations of humility. The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation."
"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."
"Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others."
"God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering."
"I want my friend to miss me as long as I miss him."
"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself. "
"It is not the punishment but the cause that makes the martyr."
"O Holy Spirit, descend plentifully into my heart. Enlighten the dark corners of this neglected dwelling and scatter there Thy cheerful beams. "
"Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand."
"Punishment is justice for the unjust."
"Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul."
"This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections."
"Thou hast created us for Thyself, and our heart is not quiet until it rests in Thee."
"What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like."
No comments:
Post a Comment