Saturday, April 19, 2008

Breakfast at STM

*Author's note: This post is dedicated to Perng Shyang as I've almost gave in to the thought of NOT writing it. However, knowing that you've been waiting for this post keeps me from giving up. ;)
Students at my seminary take turns to prepare breakfast. While lunch and dinner is prepared by the cook, breakfast is the only meal that we have some sort of autonomy to decide what we would like to have. Preparing breakfast is a part of our duties as we live as a community. We usually have the option of either ordering or cooking for everyone. Of course, it's just much more convenient to order food. So we'd usually end up having nasi lemak, fried rice, fried mee hoon, big pau, loh mai kai, kueh, siew pau, egg tarts, wan tan mee, etc...

As for me, when it gets to my turn, I usually opt for cooking breakfast. Perhaps it's because of the fact that my mum used to be a caterer, cooking breakfast for 70-100 is not too daunting. I'm also always thankful for my prayer group girls(left pic) who have been my willing helpers and partners in crime. Because of them, it's possible for me to serve Western breakfast at STM instead.

Last Monday, it was my turn again. Decided to add bacon to the menu as I normally only cook chicken sausages and scrambled eggs. In the end, we had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, baked beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and bread (Picture above).

Personally, I found everyone's reaction quite amusing. First of all, I had two 'policemen'(right pic) who helped me monitor the food (to make sure that everyone took their fair share -1 bacon, 1 sausages and 1 scoop of scrambled eggs). They were also waiting for their opportunity to take extras should anyone not claim their share. :p

Also, there were quite a fair bit of people who not only turned up for breakfast for a Monday (most students usually opt to sleep in or go out for breakfast), but were willing to wait half an hour so they could have leftovers. One of my prayer group girlfriend told me that she was amazed that everything was finished by 9am as there are usually always leftovers. Hahahhaa....

Personally, I always find the effort worthwhile. I'm very encouraged by the people who come extra early for breakfast (I was quite surprised that a few ppl showed up 15 mins before breakfast time. The food wasn't even ready yet. *grin). One of my friends who found out that there was going to be bacon for breakfast got his sister-in-law to save some for him till he got back to STM. Hehehe. Also, the very appreciative audience always spur me to keep on going. It's a small thing, but I'm glad that I can be a blessing to my fellow seminarians in this small way. (Right pic - a satisfied looking STMer. ;) )

3 comments:

Kar Yong said...

Well...what do you except?

STM = Selalu Tunggu Makan
STM = Suka Terlebih Makan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post! It reminds me to that breakfast and makes me looking forward to the coming one! When is next? Selalu Tunggu Makan!

rccnlj said...

Kar Yong: hahahaha.. You're hilarious as usual..

Perng Shyang: LOoks like will have to wait for next semester kua.. ehhehe