For our Mark class, I have chosen to do an exegesis on the verses below. I thought to do this text in view of Easter as well as some discussions I've been having with my college group bunch. As I do the study on the text, I find it rather sobering and there's much to ponder about - especially in the how much we have ignored certain things in this text in our view of what a follower of Christ should be. As suggested by my lecturer, have been doing quite a fair bit of reading on the scope of 'denying oneself' and 'taking up the cross'. What I've come across have been rather mind boggling and definitely soul changing as I personally continue to grapple with the implications this verse have upon myself as well. Will *try* to write more on this in the coming days.
Mark 8:34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? 37 Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."
No comments:
Post a Comment