Saturday, May 24, 2008

A little thanks to my principal

My Principal Dr Ezra Kok (pic - courtesy of LKY)

I remember that I used to be a little afraid of my principal in my first year. I'm now in my third year and I'm glad that I can every once in a while have a conversation with him about different stuff. He's also tried to give some interesting suggestions for my thesis proposal at the beginning of this sem - some of which I found to be quite funny. I remember too one of our conversation on women leadership - it was quite fun and I got to see a different side of my principal.

Just before the semester ended, I realised in the midst of all the busyness, that it's been a while since I've last had a chat with him so I decided to drop by his office for 10 mins on the second last day of semester. In the end I stayed on longer than I expected (I was 10 mins late for my next appointment). In our conversation - I told him about my and a couple of friends trip to Phuket which I just got back from.

The next day, as I was rushing around to pack my stuff, my principal called me to go to his office. To my surprise, he passed to me some of his 'loose change' (in thai baht) for my girlfriends and I for our trip. It was a lovely gesture from him - one which my girlfriends and I were quite appreciative of (it came in handy during the trip). ;) It has made me realise again and again that barring initial (terrifying) impressions, there's more to the lecturers (and principal) when we students too take the effort to know them.

No comments: