Monday, May 12, 2008

I wonder...

If someone is employed to do a certain job - to take care of a specific department, say technical department, is it then not the job of the employee to be responsible that the department runs smoothly? If one of the people who are under that person is late, or cannot make it, would it not be the responsibility of the person to find a replacement or do the job? Would it be fair of the person to ask someone else from another department to do the job instead - especially when they have other roles already? Also, would it be fair for that person to be doing another job that is unrelated to his job, say customer care, while he it is still his working hours? What would happen if this was true in the corporate world?
Now we take the same scenario to the church. While we say the church is not a company, would such a behaviour be any more acceptable - just because it is the church? One of my close friend cheekily loves to say that because of our tendency to pay peanuts in the church or in Christian organisation, we get monkeys. As much as I hate to agree with him, sometimes I think he is right. I'm especially frustrated when such people affect others in ministry in ways that are negative and are seemingly insensitive to others. *sigh

2 comments:

pearlie said...

Yes, if it is the person's job to run the department and there are requirements to be fulfilled, it is obviously his duty to fulfil them, through justifiable means. Depending on context and circumstances, the job can be delegated to others, and depending on context and circumstances, the same person can be required to do jobs that are not included in his job description. It is quite common to find matrix management in practice in companies these days. But these are usually done with proper leadership. If it is not, it pretty much make a havoc out of everything, and I suspect that is usually what happens in a church setting.

rccnlj said...

pearlie: yes it happens in church settings - more often than not. I guess my gripe is not so much having to do beyond the job scope or the delegation. I'm happy if the job is done - just as long as the person is doing it with a right attitude I suppose.