Monday, October 29, 2007

Reflection on this Semester

Been wanting to post this up for a while now- it seems worth it to sacrifice a bit of sleep to get this post up since I'm pretty sure that I'll never get to it once I'm in Egypt.
I usually do a reflection every semester on what God has been teaching me in STM. I started writing a reflection a couple of weeks ago but so many things has happened that I felt that it was appropriate to delay it. I'm glad that I did. Though the last few weeks have not been exactly ideal or great for me, I've learnt a lot from it.
As I look back, I remember a conversation that I had with a friend at the beginning of semester. I told this friend that I wasn't looking forward to the classes this semester though I was looking forward to being together with them after the semester break. Somehow I couldn't summon the usual excitement for the semester. Nevertheless, I've learnt a lot both inside and outside class this semester.
Friendship
At the beginning of this year, a few things changed for me in this area. As I looked at the year ahead, I wonder what God would have in store for me in this area. In this past semester especially, I see how God knows my needs in this area and I am grateful for faithful companions who have walked alongside me. They've helped me to laugh when I was sad, journeyed with me through times of pain and shared my sorrows. There were great times of joy as well and I am thankful for them because when I was with them, I know that I am in the midst of people who love me for me. This helped me to keep on going and even when I couldn't go on anymore, I am thankful that they carried me till I was better despite the burdens that they bear as well.
Faith
This is one of the main lessons that I've learnt this semester - to continue to have faith in God even though at times my faith was really small. Even when I broke. I never realised how much I've taken my faith for granted until this semester. He has stretched my faith in so many ways, in expected and unexpected ways. Despite the difficulty and the heartaches and the healing that still is to come, I am thankful for this lesson because I do not want to wake up one day and say that my faith is no longer alive and I've drifted far away from my Maker. This journey of faith during the semester has drawn me closer to God despite my weaknesses.
Lecturers
I know that my fellow seminarians may struggle with some of the lecturers and wish that they'd mentor them or have closer fellowship with them. As for me, I've had the privilege of having a glimpse of knowing how much they do care for the seminarians. STM is blessed to have them. Sure, they are not perfect people but I know that they do their best in whatever capacity they are able to. During my lowest moment, I was amazed by the support and understanding that they gave - especially after believing somehow that they would not understand. I am glad that I was wrong. Their pastoral care and support to me during that time is something that I'll never forget.

No comments: