Monday, October 08, 2007

Trip to Penang - wedding dinner

On Saturday evening, attended Faye and Sze Whye's wedding dinner at E&O Hotel (I cannot believe that they have 4 wedding dinners to organise - one in Singapore, one in Penang, one in Ipoh and the final one in Shanghai). Am so glad for them, they are one of the loveliest couple I know. I was seated at the Melbourne Uni OCF-ers table (which just had to be most rambunctious table in the room). It was good fun to meet up with everyone again. There was free flow of red wine - which my friend Chris(pic on the left below) took advantage of (he found every excuse he could think of to give a toast-and coerce people to drink with him). Though he said he found the wine a bit sweet, I personally liked it.


I was telling my friend Lee Yng, being with them enabled me a glimpse of another world.

Let me explain more - I met Daniel Wan after 5-6 years of incommunicado. He's now working in HP, Penang. Am glad that he's doing great- he struggled a fair bit when he got back from Melbourne. Chris Quek, who tells me that he's constantly pictured in Malaysian newspapers for AcmaBooks is one of its CEO. Am particularly fond of him - he the kind of guy that shares EVERYTHING (and I mean everything! He told me about how much he gave the bride and groom and the reason for giving the amount, He also told me about what his mother has saved up for his future bride, he told me about his girlfriend and stuff, etc.. - you get the pic ) and he tries to call whenever he's in town. I always remember him for his amusing stories (He even told a story of a pastor who he says preached a 'porn sermon' at his friends wedding - those interested to know the details can come and ask me). Being the most senior on the table, we were constantly ragging him about getting married to which he says - in two June's time. Am looking forward to that day. *grin* Charlene (my former follow uppee) and Marcus married about a year ago and Marcus is heading his dad's construction company - which is now opening another branch in JB. They are quite down to earth ppl and as I constantly tell people, Marcus was one of the best cell group leaders I know. Sophia Goh was there, and she's a writer at a magazine here and Singapore.

Like I said, their world seems so different from mine - so VERY DIFFERENT - I wonder how my seminary learnings will be relevant in ministering to people like them or prepare me adequately in keeping up with them (I guess the onus will have to be on me).

1 comment:

pearlie said...

And maybe it is worse for me - for I am neither here nor there :)